High RPM at start

Dear List:
When I start my car in the morning, the RPM's rev up to about 2000, then
quickly drop back to idle. When the car is warm, it usually doesn't do it. If
I turn the key a few times (before the starter turns over the engine) it will
start easily and the RPM's don't go up to 2000, they stay at idle (this
happens when hot or cold). Any thoughts as to what may be wrong or is this
normal?
On a side note, I have noticed this at startup on my girl friends Jeep (1988).
Thanks,
Joshua Schwartz
001292
Trumbull, CT