Re: [DML] Tires

Mark Noeltner said:

> Mike, Jim didn't mention anything about tire pressures
> in his post. I think you're reading something that isn't
> there. He's just asking about running a softer rubber
> compound which doesn't imply anything about tire
> pressures. You CAN adjust handling with tire pressures,
> but he didn't ask or mention that.

Apparently I was very unclear, since Mark Noeltner and William T. Wilson both
thought I was only discussing changing tire pressures. I was not. What I
intended to say was that the recent headlines saying moderate changes in tire
pressure may have caused fatal accidents had alarmed me. Right now I want to keep
both my tires AND their pressures as close to factory spec as possible.

Experimenting with softer tires seems wreckless.

However, I *do* wish my DeLorean had a softer, less sporty ride. I would like to
try softer tires, but I will not attempt that experiment because do not trust
myself to judge its safety. The question is, who should I trust to make that
judgement? A mechanic? A tire salesman? My buddy who races Porsches in SCCA?

Some people at the automakers and Transportation Department must decide what tires
and pressures are safe for each car. Who are they and what are their credentials?

- Mike Substelny
VIN 01280, 7 years, now running on yet another set of used NTCs at exactly spec
pressure until I can trust someone to recommend otherwise.