RE: [DML] Silicon Water Hoses

I would like to clue the list in, on the main benefit, to using silicon
hoses as replacements for coolant hoses. That benefit being, a silicon
coolant hose's life expectancy is for the life of the car.

GM used green silicon hoses on the 95 Chevy Caprice (police package). The
current Caprice that is assigned to me has been in service now going on six
years with no hose failures. And let it be known that this car is put
through paces every working day. Paces that you would not dream of doing in
your Delorean. Looking into the coolant hoses further, I have found that the
dept. has not one documented coolant failure related to the silicon coolant
hoses and many of these cars have close to 100,000 miles on them.

I know that there is a company in England that is willing to make a silicon
hose kit (for a price), including all the hoses for the Delorean. I have
passed that information on to Rob Grady so maybe soon this will be an
option.

Silicon coolant hoses are going to cost more then your standard hoses, but I
think that if you have ever changed out the coolant hoses on your Delorean
before, that the extra money spent will be well worth it, not to do it
again.

If any of you out there have purchased silicon hoses to install, please take
note: You must use wide body stainless steel clamp, that has no adjustment
holes in the inside of the band. A regular coolant hose clamp with the
adjustment holes that go through the clamp or a small body clamp may cause a
hose failure.

Robert Starling
Vin#5252