Windshield leaks

I too have a windshield leak, and now am definatle sure of it because of
the air that I hear comming in at high speeds. I would like to remove the
black trim piece as well, are there any key things to remember while
removing this piece? ANy tips from anyone whose been there, I feel this
is an important issue to address as it looks as though 5 or 6 of us will be
removing that piece this weekend. THe previous owner used black RTV
silicone type sealent, does it really matter what color you use? I mean you
wont see it right? Also is it necesarry to scrap the old sealent off
before applying the new? and can Just the passenger side of the trim piece
be lifted up and sealed as the drivers side does not leak.
Thanks
Joe Palatinus
VIN 17167 6808