Re: back firing, no start

How did you make sure it is getting plenty of fuel? A quick test
would
be to try to start the engine while spraying just a LITTLE ether into
the intake. If it sputters and or starts then you can assume it isn't
getting fuel.How did you check for spark? If you just checked the
wire
from the coil then how do you know if the distributer, rotor, spark
plug wires, and plugs are ok. When you removed the cap and wires and
plugs are you sure that you reinstalled all of that correctly? A
problem that you started with may now be compounded because you
messed
up the firing order or reinstalled some other component improperly.
You need to start at the beginning because if you really do have
spark and fuel then you should see some life as you try to start the
motor. Remember that at idle when cold most of the fuel will be
supplied by the cold start valve. Backfiring out off the intake could
be a sign of either mixed up spark plug wires or the firing order is
way off. In Richmond Jack Singer couldn't get his car to run after
replacing the mixture valve. It turned out to be that the mixture
ajusting screw was way off. When Rob Grady gave it about 2 turns it
ran fine. (Normaly it just gets adjusted about 1/8 turn).Now I am not
saying to go touch the mixture valve but what I am saying is that if
you don't know what you are doing you can cause more problems then
what you started with. Any good mechanic starting now with your car
would start from the beginning verifing each system and component as
he goes along taking nothing for granted like do the spark plug wires
go to the right places and is the distributer cap on right? By
troublshooting with a shotgun and taking things apart without
diagnosing a trouble you may introduce additional problems. A good
spark means nothing if it doesn't get to the right cylinder at the
right time.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx, Delorean17@xxxx wrote:
> Hello,
> My car started to get hard to start about 2 months ago and
would
take
> more and more time to turn over until it finally wouldnt about 2
days later.
> Since the car sat for so long before I got it I thought there
might be
> corrosion in the ignition distributor and other ignition
components.
I took
> the cap off and there was a little bit of corrosion so I removed
dist and had
> it cleaned. I put it back in and had the correct notch(opposite
notch at
> 7:30 position) on the pully lined up with the "0" notch on the
plate, and I
> made sure the rotor was pointed to the #1 cylinder firing position.
I put
> in new plugs, rotor,cap and wires as long as I had the intake off.
> It will not start now. I just get backfires out of the intake
when I
> turn it over. I checked all of the vacuum lines and they are
tight.
I see
> that the canister in the rear pontoon has the cap missing from the
port that
> does not have a hose going to it. is it necessary to have the cap
on
it? any