From: David Cox <dmcox@xxxx>
To: <dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <dmcox@xxxx>
Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2000 1:50 PM
Subject: [DML] alternator and tire questions

> I hope this isn't to silly, but is there any way to tell which alternator
I have? I've looked it over as closely as possible (without actually
removing it) and can't find any identifying marks or labels.

> I've just had the car long enough to start to get used to driving it, but
I have found that 20+ years of motorcycling has been unexpectedly helpful.
> You don't survive 20k+ miles/year on a bike unless you learn some good
habits, and being accustomed to doing a quick head check before changing
lanes is one of them. I'm actually feeling comfortable about changing lanes
in the D, now that I've figured out where to look through those side windows
;) Beyond that though, the car is still a blast to drive, and I'm enjoying
it immensely.

> One other question: it still has NCTs on it. I don't know if these are
the original tires or not. How long were these tires available? With only
45k miles, I suppose it is possible that they are the original tires - can
you get that kind of mileage from them? When did they stop making them?
They are still in good shape, but the tread is starting to get a bit thin.
I've considered the Yokohamas, but was wondering about any other
possibilities? Anyone got any something else that they like? I know that
there has been a lot of discussion of this in the past (yes, I've checked
the archives - just wanted to see if there was anything more current), so
feel free to email me privately at DMCox@xxxx