Re: [DML] Alternate Transmission 97? Delorean Time Machine

Re: [DML] Alternate Transmission 97? Delorean Time Machine

The 4 speed automatic overdrive transmission in the 97? Delorean Time
Machine is the next generation ZF transmission., The D used the ZF 3 ,
I used the ZF 4. The actual model number is 4 HP 22 E. The 4 means 4
speeds, the HP mean hydrodralic clutch pressure, the 22 is the clutch
diameter and horsepower capability and the E means electroninc selenoid
control.

The transmission is from an 89 Porsche Carrara. It included the torque
converter and bellhousing( a must get part) and the shift lever which
fits the D almost perfectly. Also get the starter.

Cost s/b about $3,000 -3,500.

the most challeging part of this transmission is the computer to control
it. I had Felpro build me a custom one. because this trans is wired
opposite of american cars. Common positive switching grounds.

However, if i was to do this again I would rewire the trans to a
negative common just like American transmission and use the readily
availabe after market computers. about $1,000.

Next you need the custom adapter plate from Kennedy engineering about
$400. to mate the trans to the engine.

Next you need custom brackets to mount the trans in the car. You have
to get rid of the manual trans brackets on the frame.

Next you need to install a transmission cooler and the high pressure
lines to the front of the car. Add abou $250.

Lastly, you need to supply the labor for installation. probably about
80 hours.

It a big job, but the 4 gears a really fun to play with and if mated to
a V-8 you will challenge the best of them out there.!!!

bob