MSD ignition coil (was 30,000 mile maintenence)

MSD ignition coil (was 30,000 mile maintenence)

Let us know if you have any luck installing an MSD ignition coil. I looked
into it and found that there are a few different makes and configurations.
I'm wondering what would be best for the Delorean. I've installed a Jacobs
Electronics model on an old GM car with a noticeable improvement in
performance. Since this is just a simple MSD unit, I'm going to try hooking
it to my Delorean when I have the time and see if I get a worthwhile
increase in horsepower. I think the best place to mount the unit would be
in the computer compartment behind the driver's seat.

When I go to the local weekly car shows, at least half of the older cars
there have MSD's installed. Is that any indication of how good they are?

One complaint about the Jacobs Electronics brand module is that it draws a
few milliamps when the ignition is switched off (about what the clock in a
stereo uses, so it's not a big deal.) This could be fixed by hooking it up
through the ignition switch, but the instructions insist on having a 'clean'
connection to the battery.

I have heard that the spark advance curve is different on a turbocharged
Delorean, and some of the fancier MSD units adjust spark curve. So what you
would need for a turbocharged Delorean may not be the same as what would go
on a non-turbo.

Hope this helps,
Walt Tampa, FL