Check those trailing arm bolts, and a couple questions ...

Check those trailing arm bolts, and a couple questions ...

Well, it finally happened to me--broke a passenger-side trailing arm bolt
last night crossing a railroad track.

Fortunately I was going slow, but it still threw me partly into the leftmost
lane. No loss of control (of the car, at least) and managed to get over to
the right lane without incident. Fixed it tonight (had spare bolts);
absolutely no sign of other damage to undercarriage, fiberglas, stainless
panels, etc.

Others have not been so lucky.

Shear pattern suggested no partial previous crack or prior damage (clean
break) and the bolt was not bent. Car has 150K miles and the bolts were last
checked at 100K and looked fine.

Please, everyone, check these things! If there is ANY sign of deterioration,
replace 'em. I'd even consider replacing on principal alone at 30-40K
intervals. I was going slow, but what if ......

So, here's the first question: The original bolt was marked RO 109 and the
replacements are marked SS109. I assume these replacement are correct since
I got 'em years ago from Delorean One-Houston, but after all these years is
this still the optimum bolt material and grade, or have we learned more? In
other words: James Espey and DMC Joe, is this still the one you recommend?

The other question: Is there an "average" number of rear alignment shims
typically found? Mine are all missing now and I don't remember how many were
there. Would like to start off as close as possible until I can get to an
alignment shop.

\\ Mark Hershey, VIN 2790
Mobile DeLorean A/T governor test bed (6 months going strong with mods to
original gov... report coming soon!)