Door locks

------Original Message------
From: "Walter" <Whalt@xxxx>
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: August 24, 2000 9:27:44 AM GMT
Subject: Re: [DML] Door locks

Ah, I remember seeing a bulletin about the locks- it described how to enter
your key at and angle into the lock's 'dish' because the lock's little water
flap that covers the barrel did not open easily.

I do not have the 'dish'- that small indentation in the lock base so that
the key slides toward the hole if you miss (maybe this discourages drunk
driving? If you can't manage to get the key in the hole, don't drive!!)

The slots in the door are at the 9 and 3 oclock positions, but by the design
of the lock, it seems to me that they should be at the 12 and 6 oclock
positions. The lock also fits loose in the hole, making me think it's not
OEM, even if it is a replacement. The door lock key does not match the
ignition key- it's still a 2 key car. The car is an '81.

I think it's a little too hack to start filing/cutting the door to make the
lock fit. I wonder if I can find early model lock replacements- one where
the lock base notches are at 9 and 3 and the barrel that will connect to the
plastic piece on the inside such that it is vertical when not in use..

I guess I should just call the boyz and see if it's available...

Jim

>Could you describe better what you have started with?
>
>My first suspicion is that you are describing a situation where >your car
is
>an '81 and has (or had) the two key system (meaning that the >door key and
>ignition key are different.)

snip! hack! saw! cut!