Door locks

Hey all,

I recently ventured into my door to track down lock issues-
I'm baffled by what I found for the mechanism for unlocking the door from
the outside...

The door has slots so the lock base won't turn in the door, and it seems to
me that the barrel must be vertical in normal position so that the inside
locking mechanism moves correctly, 90 degrees toward the front or back of
the car (to lock or unlock).

This is the assumption I'm working on... My problem:
The locks fit like a pencil in a hallway. They don't fit the hole, and the
notches in the lock base line up with the slots in the door only when the
barrel is horizontal.

This leads me to a few possible conclusions:
1. I need to mount the lock differently, so that the notches in the lock
base are not lined up with the slot in the door,
2. I have the wrong lock altogether and some schmoe replaced my locks with
something that doesn't fit,
3. I have the wrong plastic backing to the lock that moves the pushrod in
the door, or
4. I have no idea how this lock is supposed to work..

Can anyone help?

Jim
1537... though the registry thinks it's 1437... OH THANK YOU DMV