Re: [DML] Delorean Overheating (almost)

> The car has not overheated yet, but in stop and
> go traffic, the thermometer gage comes close to
> the overheating point. The oil and coolant levels
> in the car are fine, and i had the original coolant
> bottle replace w/ a stainless steel one.

If your cooling system is functioning properly, your temp gauge should *never*
get anywhere close to the overheat point, even idling on a hot day with the AC
running.

The most likely cause is related to the cooling fans. An electrical problem may
be hampering their operation. Check to be sure they come on when the temp gauge
is somewhere near the first line. If they do not operate check your fuses,
bypass connection, and the connections on the fans themselves.

If the fans are functioning correctly, then you probably have air in your
system. It is possible for the system to appear completely full, even though it
contains a lot of air. Either bleed the system with a pressure tester, install
the auto bleeder (available from DMC Joe as a kit) or both.

If the fans are not functioning correctly, but there are no electrical problems,
then you might STILL have an air in the system. This happened to me recently
(putting an end to my 5 year coolant experiment). The DeLorean has two temp
sensors. It is possible for the sensor on the gauge to be submerged and
registering correctly while the one that controls the fans is dry. If the fan
control sensor is surrounded by air your fans will never come on. Again, the
solution would be to bleed the air out of the system.

> I know delorean's have a tendancy to
> overheat b/c of the plastic coolant bottle,
> but as i said, i replaced it.

I hate to spread dangerous rumors, but my personal opinion is that failures of
the plastic coolant bottle (a.k.a. header bottle) are *not* inherent in the
DeLorean design. I believe that all of the failures you hear about happened
because those particular bottles were defective, or the car overheated. If a
DeLorean has a plastic bottle that is not defective, and its cooling system is
properly maintained, that plastic bottle should last many years.

You might also have crud in your radiator. Do you know whether or not the system
has ever been filled with an improper coolant, or negelcted for many years?

- Mike Substelny
VIN 01280, 7 years, original plastic bottle functions daily.