Help! Fuel Pump Noise! And Fuel Smell! Help!

Help! Fuel Pump Noise! And Fuel Smell! Help!

I hope someone can give me a quick answer to my sudden problems!

My DeLorean has just been serviced by my local garage. I purchased the Fuel Pump Kit from DMC Houston, because I decided I wanted to service this part of my fuel system. And sure enough, some of the hoses were quite rotten according to my trusted mechanic.

Previous to this I had also had a little fuel smell inside the car, and the fuel pump gave out a irritating noise once in a while.

So with the fuel pump kit ready, I thought everything was going to be ok now. What happened was this:

After the fuel pump and hoses was installed my mechanic tested the cooling system and let the engine run for about 1 hour (yes, one hour!) to make sure EVERYTHING was ok. The car sounded like new. The coolant system worked 100%. The car started at once, no problems. No fuel pump noise, no fuel smell. Then they gave the car a good wash as to make it presentable to me when I came to pick it up.

I saw my DeLorean glistening in the sunlight waiting for me to take her home today preparing her for an upcoming car show this weekend. I walked into my local garage to fetch my keys. I didn't get them.

There was "something wrong" with the fuel pump they told me.

Turned out that after they had washed the car and drove the car outside, the fuel pump had began making a terrible noise all of a sudden(this was a new Bosch fuel pump), almost as if it were struggling. Much more louder than my older Bosch fuel pump!

My mechanic wanted to let me hear this noise in person. He got into the car started it....took about 5 seconds to start it (before it had started at once by the turn of the key). The engine ran for about 10 sec. then the terrible noise came from the fuel pump and there was also a strong fuel smell. The noise could be compared to a loud constant humming. Very loud. Very, very loud. Listen to it for one minute and you would get a headache.

With all this happening I must still tell that the engine ran fine during all this. No problems. Engine is 100%. Idles perfect. Runs like new. But theres definitely something wrong with the fuel pump.

At that time the clock was 3.00 and the garage about to close. They put the car back in and said that they were going to have a look at it tomorrow morning.

They also said that they really hadn't a clue to what just had happened. One person passing by joked about that it might be the water that did this. Not funny.

In any event, my trusted mechanic assured me that they are going to find the fault, then correct it cost-free. At the same time he admitted that they really didnt have a clue as what to look for since everything worked to begin with. I was asked to find out some clues for this. This is what Im doing now. We shook hands and he told me that eventually they will find the fault and that there must be some logical explanation to all this. My problem is that I must have the car ready tomorrow because of the car show.

I have been thinking, are there any parts that might have loosened inside the fuel tank? The tank has half of gas in it, yet I have still been thinking that maybe the pump sucks in air/gas fumes together with gas????

Did I say that I have a car show to attend on Saturday? Im so afraid that this may take some time and that I dont manage to have my DeLorean ready, so PLEASE:

If anyone can give me a tip on what this might be then I can tell my garage tomorrow morning so that they don't spend time on something that is not the problem. What can have caused this?

Stephen? Warren? James? DMC Joe? Darryl? Rob? Ed? Anyone???
I hope I wont be stuck and not being able to attend the car show...

Please help! Stian Birkeland Norway

VIN # 06759
(100% condition except excessive fuel pump noise and strong fuel smell)