Re: Colored Deloreans -- not painting per se

Re: Colored Deloreans -- not painting per se

I think in the book "Stainless Steel Illusion" it mentions that
DuPont was working on a type of coating to color the SS panels into
various colors. But it was supposed to act more like a tint where
the panels would be a different color, but you could still see the
grain underneath. Not like a paint that would totally cover the SS.
The end results were that in humid climates the coating would bubble
and peel off. However the book does not mention weather the coating
was applied as a film, or sprayed on as a liquid. Nor does it mention
weather the tests were performed on a DMC-12, or in a lab.

As to 'wall papering' a DeLorean, of the handfull of Country Squire
station wagons that are left on the road I've seen, I've yet to find
one that still has the vinyl attatched (or even in good condition).
And for painting over the film, I don't know that paint would stick
very well to the tint, or the tint to the SS.

It's a good idea though, and it would be interesting to see the
results. Maybe one day someone will decide on a new hobbie and pick
up where DuPont left off...

-Robert
vin 6585