Colored Deloreans -- not painting per se

Colored Deloreans -- not painting per se

Is it feasible to cover the stainless panels of a Delorean with window tint
film? I've been thinking for a long time about how cool it would be to
'paint' a Delorean without damaging the stainless texture. If one or two
panels on a car are damaged and can't be economically restored without body
fillers and paint, then why screw up the rest of the car by painting the
good panels, too?

If window tint film wouldn't be practical, then what about a decal/bumper
sticker material like those wood grain decals they used on stationwagons?
Wouldn't a wood grain Delorean look just awful?

I watched someone tint a wrap-around back window with one piece of film. He
used a heat gun to stretch the film to fit. I was wondering if something
similar could be done with a fender. I know that window tint film is
sensitive to ammonia based cleaners and may not hold up well to the
elements, but couldn't the film then be waxed or clear coated? How about a
real dark black-out film followed up with another layer of very light bronze
limo tint film? That would give an even deeper shine.

If there are any minor dings to cover up, these could first be filled with
drywall compound and then 'sanded' with a wet sponge until smooth. This
wouldn't damage the fender and would be easy to wash off in case someone
later wanted to remove the tint film and repair the dent.

Perhaps a car body completely covered in window tint film could then be
painted over. When you are tired of the color, you could strip the tinting
off and start fresh from bare stainless.

Just a crazy idea from a mad scientist not,

Walt