Re: [DML] delorean pricing, first time driver

Mark Noeltner wrote:

> Other people on the list have mentioned the $20,000 rule. You can either
> buy a good D for $20,000, or you can spend $10,000 for one, plus another
> $10,000 to get it into shape (substitute any two numbers adding up to 20,000).

While I mostly agree with this, I want to point out is that it is possible to find
a reliable DeLorean in the $12,000-$15,000 price range that has only cosmetic
faults. You can drive a car with dented stainless, sagging headliners, cracked
leather, a faded dashboard, or ripped carpeting. Unfortunately, when you find a
car with these cosmetic faults it is very likely to have some hidden mechanical
problems. Either way, you can put off cosmetic repairs as long as you can stand
to look at the faults.

If anyone is considering a DeLorean as a daily driver, also remember the $1,600
rule: budget at least $1,600 in parts and labor every year to keep your daily
driver running. If you spend less than that this year, plan to spend more next
year. Sometimes a lot more. If you plan to do restoration work while driving the
DeLorean daily (restoring at a leisurely pace), you should probably double that
figure.

> I strongly recommend having a 2nd reliable car to drive, [SNIP]
> since they are almost 20 years old, they are going to need a lot of work to
> get them there just like any other car that old.

Absolutely. If you plan on driving *any* 10+ year old car every day, you had
better assume some unscheduled down time for repairs. If you have another car for
winter driving, you can improve this by doing some maintenance and repairs during
the winter.

- Mike Substelny
VIN 01280, 7 years