Re: [DML] delorean pricing, first time driver

Re: [DML] delorean pricing, first time driver

You can search the archives for more on this subject, as it has been
discussed many times in the past.

I personally don't recommend owning a D for your 1st car, especially if you
only have $10,000 to spend. You can get a running, driveable D for that
amount if you look around enough, but it will still need a lot of work,
which means more money.

I tried this years ago with a Triumph TR6. I had just enough money to buy
it, then tried to use it as my daily driver until I could fix it up. All I
succeeded in doing was spending a lot of money on parts just to keep it
running and never had enough extra money or time to actually get it into
great shape. You'll probably find the same thing. A $10,000 D will run, but
probably won't be really reliable, so you'll end up spending lots of money
just keeping it running. Your family and friends will be convinced that
this is the most unreliable car in the world after giving you rides all the
time.

Other people on the list have mentioned the $20,000 rule. You can either
buy a good D for $20,000, or you can spend $10,000 for one, plus another
$10,000 to get it into shape (substitute any two numbers adding up to 20,000).

I strongly recommend having a 2nd reliable car to drive, at least while you
are working the bugs out of your D. They can be a very reliable car. But
since they are almost 20 years old, they are going to need a lot of work to
get them there just like any other car that old.

Mark N
VIN 6820