Re: [DML] Broken Shift Linkage

I experienced the same problem twice.

I drive my DeLorean daily and with the constant shifting in the NYC traffic
this doesn't help the pivot bolt at all.

My first experience was about 2 1/2 years ago on a Saturday morning in the
streets of NYC. I had made a shift from 2nd to 3rd gear and the linkage bolt
gave way. No respond with the shifting at all. The tranny is stuck on 2nd
gear! I call Rob at PJ Grady on my cell phone and I told him of the
situation. I drove my DeLorean to Rob that same day in second gear doing 35
to 40 MPH @ 3,500 RPM. It took almost 3 hours to get there, a 60 miles trip
that would have taken 1 hour and 15 mins. He change the pivot bolt in ten
minutes -- no charge. He even given me a "extra replacement" bolt that I had
carried in the DeLorean as a spare.

Well, guess what? Ten months and 11,000 miles later, it broke again. That
same feeling "ugly feeling" again -- It broke in the neutral position, while
I was trying to downshift, in the decelerating lane while exiting off the New
York State Thruway. So, I coasted off the highway's exit and I pushed the
DeLorean into a garage that was next to the exit. A young enthusiastic
mechanic made it his business to work on the DeLorean which was an advantage
to get me back on the road immediately. They put the DeLorean on the lift
and changed the broken pivot bolt in fifteen mins for grand total of twenty
dollars.

The pivot bolt has inherited problems. It is made of mild steel and has an
unusual physical designed for the job it is to do. The main shaft which is
the body which acts as the pivot post for the shift rod's linage point and
the thinner shaft's end has threads which starts at the shoulder. The
thinner end inserted into the chassis which held down by a washers and a lock
nut. Since, the threads are cut onto the thinner shaft starting at the
shoulder, this naturally weakens the bolt and being mild steel doesn't help.
All the combined forces will stress the bolt and share off at the threads
when mounted. It is only a matter of time.

In my case, both times the bolts "sheared off" at the same area, at the
shoulder where the threads are. Rob had several customers had the same
problems too. So, to avoid the problem of the shearing breakage, in the
future, I took the broken bolt and placed on a lathe and drilled it, to
"hollow" it out. This is to accommodated a HARDEN bolt which will act as the
"new" thinner section and CAN take the sharing stress. A simple project --
cheap, fast and effective without manufacturing a new unit and have it
hardened. This modified unit is on my DeLorean and it has been nine months
and 10, 000 miles -- so far so good.

While you are at it, I suggest that you should check the gear shifter's rod
lever pivot. The point where the rod is drilled and the "reverse" pin is
inserted through. This right under the leather boot and the larger rubber
seal under the center console. This is another weak point with the DeLorean
and it too had broken on me. You can still carefully shift into gears -- but
no reverse. Rob told me, "This situation can occur as one within several
hundred cars." I understand there is nothing you can do to avoid this
breakage. Maybe when shifting, do it softer or lighter? I think it is a
poor design and I was the lucky recipient again! It is an assembly item that
is very EXPENSE to replace -- not like the pivot bolt.

Kayo Ong
#05508
Lic 9D NY