Question on STARTING A D...

Hi, i have a question and need some help. I have an Automatic D wit 50,000+
miles and dont reallly drive it, Whenever I start it about once a week or
whenever it always has to run for like 5 minutes. The RPM needle goes from
like 10 to 25 and then slowly after sittin for like 2 minutes idles back
around 10. My mechanic said this is normal buit he really doesnt know much
about d's and I dont think this is normal. He told me this was only because
it is cold out but now it is summer and the same problem still happens. Can
anyone please give me some help? Thanks so much

BRIAN