Re: [DML] Blue Fan Fail Module

Richard,

As an electronic technician you will notice by my description that the Fan
Fail Module is a relatively simple device. If you have a workshop manual go
to M:18:19, the entire cooling fan circuit is located at the upper right of
the schematic wiring diagram.

The design concept of the Fan Fail relay is nothing more than a device that
would sense excessive current draw from one of the two cooling fans and
switch on the "Fan Fail" warning light to inform the driver of a possible
problem with one of the cooling fans. It is normal for the warning lamp to
illuminate for a second or two whenever the fans switch on. There are two
problems with the relay and the circuit design.

Problem one: the 12v supply for both fans go through the relay.
Problem two: the cooling fan current draw exceeds the current rating of the
relay.
Result: the relay will eventually overheat and melt down. When this happens
not only does the Fan Fail warning light cease to operate, so do the cooling
fans. This could lead to engine overheating possibly causing permanent
damage to the engine block.

There are several temporary fixes but the best and easiest to install item
is the
Fanzilla.

"We're here to help you"

DMC Help / De Lorean Services / <dmchelp@xxxx>