Re: [DML] Overheating Questions

Stian,

I believe I can answer your question simply. All metals will distort when
exposed to very high temperatures. Cast iron, which was used in most early
engine designs, can withstand much greater temperatures than aluminum. When
an engine overheats internal pressure combined with metal expansion will
usually cause head gasket failure, commonly referred to as "a blown head
gasket". In more extreme cases the engine block be permanently warped.

Your question about the frequency of repeated over-heatings is like asking
how many times can you over inflate a balloon before it will burst. It could
take 10 tries or it may burst on the first try.

Her is the information I believe you want to hear. The PRV-6 can usually
take at least one over heating up to 280 degrees F and several at 240
without serious damage.

The important thing is: DO NOT OVERHEAT YOUR ENGINE! This is a sensitive
subject with me because I know that the PRV-6 is an extremely long lasting
and durable engine and the only major failures I have ever seen are related
to overheating. All the information and components are readily available to
prevent over-heating and owners should keep this on the top of their list of
preventive maintenance when servicing their DeLorean's.

Stian, this was a very good question, if you need more details feel free to
contact me directly.

"We're here to help you"

DMC Joe / De Lorean Services / <dmcjoe@xxxx>
Web Site: <www.deloreanservices.com>