Re: [DML] Frame epoxy

DMC Joe wrote:

> No, the entire production run of frames were all coated with the same
> process and materials.

Actually, I think there is more to the story than this. DMC Joe is right
about all the cars having epoxy coating applied with the same process
originally. However, some of the 1983 DeLoreans also had ordinary
undercoating applied over the epoxy. This was done because they sat for a
long time (I believe near the ocean). After weeks or months there was
concern that they might develop some rust or corrosion, so the undercoating
was applied to all the cars just in case.

Having judged the undercarriage at Millennium: The DeLorean Motor Company
Concours in Saint Louis, I got a good look at both undercarriage versions.
On cars that have the ordinary undercoating, it was sprayed everywhere: on
horns, shock absorbers, oil filters, wires, everything. Compared to the
smooth, clean look of the epoxy the ordinary undercoating looks ugly.

However it did work, at least on some cars. My personal observation was
that a car with both types of undercoating was slightly better preserved
than a car with only the epoxy undercoating.

- Mike Substelny
VIN 01280, 7 years