Thermo Time Switch

Can extreme heat damage a new thermo time switch? Ever since my car
blew it's otterstat and overheated, I've had starting problems which
have gotten progressivly worse. When the engine is cold to mild, it
will not turn over with out swapping plugs to fire the cold start
valve. And from here it can still take 1-2 additional cranks to get
it going. But, if I insert a jumper wire to ground the thermo time
wire, or if I swap the plugs BEFORE I crank the engine, the engine
fires up in 1-2 seconds. About 10-15 seconds after the motor then
starts to sputter untill it warms up, but I believe that this may be
caused by a clogged Control Pressure Regulator. Although it didn't
exceed it, the motor did reach 260 degrees when it overheated.

-Robert