satisfaction and fuel tank question

Man... since i got my delorean in march i have
steadily been learning on how to fix the car, today i
replace my fuel pump and all accessories to it and
decided to check into my fuel tank.. well looking into
i saw TONS of @#$% settled into the bottom, it
bothered me alot... so i removed the fuel and cleaned
all the crapola' out of there.. i removed the baffle
and it was filled with black gunk, cleaned it up and
while doing that i cleaned up the fuel filter in the
baffle. That filter was clogged beyond belief, i cant
believe the car even got gas to run it was so clogged.
Cleaned that jammy up, put it all back together and
it seems (G) to run a'hell-of-a' lot better. I felt so
satisfied after this.

Now the questions i have are:

The baffle, there are 2 coat hanger looking peices of
metal that fit into the baffle, what are their
purpose?, i did not put these two peices in because of
time constraints, can i get away with not having them
in?

Secondly i have a new fuel filter canister, are there
any special precautions to installing this? As this is
the last peice i need to put in. Thanks guys!!