Fuel pump woes.. maybe? AND gas smell revisited

Fuel pump woes.. maybe? AND gas smell revisited

Since i got my car my fuel pump has not seemed to be
quite normal.. at first i was getting some strange
noises coming from the pump when i would come to a
fast stop at a light. Usually the sound would
disappear after a min or two.

Now yesterday the sound started to be constant all the
time. I pulled the pump and jumped it the sound is
not caused by the hoses being constricted (to my
knowledge) because the noise is actually coming from
the pump unit it self, i adjusted the pump all sorts
of ways, adusting the hoses etc... and it still made
the noise continously.

Its not a good sound either :), it sounds as if its on
its last leg of operation and is struggling to work,
its almost making a grinding/buzzing noise.

Im pretty scared to drive it until i can get some
advice on this.

I posted earlier this month about a strong fuel smell
coming into the cabin, i got alot of great replies on
this issue and confirmed where that smell is coming
from.

If your familar with the fuel pump area, there is a
rubber boot which the fuel pump sits in and then a
rubber cover which goes over this and a clamp around
the whole thing.

Well i have gas sitting inside the boot, fully
imersing the fuel pump unit, on the fuel pump boot
there are notches cut out of the side for the
electrical wires to go into for a snug fit, It seems
that the fuel that is sitting in the boot sloshes
around when driving and seaps threw this area where
the wires are. I have tried tighting this clamp as
much as possible and putting those wires dead into
those slots but i still get gas coming out like crazy.
Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Im thinking combined with the fuel pump noises i would
be better off just buying the whole fuel pump combo
kit from houston. Its pretty expensive though and
would prefer to fix it if possible. Thanks everyone

P.s. off hand does anyone know how many gallons the
fuel tank holds? I might be just used to a econo-honda
civic, but my D guzzles gas, I can watch my gas gauage
go down while i drive to work (20 miles).

Cliff Andrews
Centreville, VA