RE: [DML] DMC Engine Upgrade

Bill,

I say I didn't know my car was running yet! Boy, this must be a great
mailing list for me to be able to get status updates here first. The last
time I talked to Stephen it was before the weekend, and the car wasn't
driveable yet. (I've been watching on the webcam...there's a RED one in
there right now...)

I was privileged to be the recipient of the prototype USADMC engine. My
original engine's water pump failed, and since I was planning on getting one
of the new engines anyway I opted not to fix it and just wait. But the ship
date on the engine was slipping and Cleveland was approaching and I was
getting nervous. While talking it over with Stephen, I decided that I was
not going to have my once-in-a-lifetime snapshot with JZD taken in front of
a rental Geo Metro! I told him that since the schedule was very tight, I'd
rather he sell me a water pump and let me fix it, and then worry about the
new engine after the show. That's when he offered to let me be the guinea
pig on the new engine, being the great guy that he is. I've been mum on the
subject because he asked me to keep it low-key until the engine was tested,
but I guess the cat's out of the bag if he's giving out test drives.

And that's not all I'm having done to the car, either. I'm getting the
lowering springs, the new shocks that Chris Parnham mentioned next week, and
a new set of Yokos. Anybody need an old set of springs? Tires? Shocks?
An engine, perhaps?

So yes, I am fully prepared to give out frequent test drives on the new
setup in Cleveland. It's just as well, since I then won't have to suffer
through that awful break-in period. :-)

Gus Schlachter
Austin, TX
VIN# 4695 (Hey Bill, our VINs are only 35 apart!)