DMC Engine Upgrade

Stopped into DMC yesterday to pick up my car, and Stephen invited me to go with him for a drive in Gus Schlachter's car, which has just received the first new engine. Stephen was particularly interested in my impressions, since we did a one-off engine on mine a few years back (Port and polished heads, slight milling, higher lift cam, a couple of other minor hot rod tricks). In Gus's car, the engine was installed with the stock exhaust system as the header system has not arrived as yet, but the initial drive was very encouraging. It seemed to be a little faster overall than mine, but with a much smoother power band. Mine is a little "peaky", coming on strong at about 3500 rpm or so, but pulling strong past 6000 (I've actually seen 7000 a couple of times in first and second gears). Gus's begins pulling strongly at about 2500 and continues up to 5500 (as far as I dared to push it), where Stephen says the dyno says things begin to fall off rapidly.

I'm anxious to get another look at the setup once Stephen gets the headers on and fine tunes the timing and idle. I'm hoping to follow it up to Cleveland and "road test" it. What say you, Gus?

Bill Swilley
Houston
VIN: 04730
TX Lic: 81 DMC