Autocrossing the D (& tire report)

Yesterday I took the D to a SCCA Autocross here in town. The Southern IL
Region setup a course in a closed department store parking lot. This course
was very tight and it was hard to get over about 20 mph.

First off, my DeLorean is an automatic. I left it in second gear. I was
very difficult to race because of how low it sits and the corner visibility.
I got my seat back as far up as I could so that my helmet was resting on the
top of the door. I was still guessing where the cones were going through
the turns.

I just finished putting in the lowered front springs, a rebuilt steering
rack, new front rotors, new front calipers, and Marty Maier's custom rear
shock and lower control arm setup. (http://www.midstatedmc.com and click on
Products)

I also just put a new set of Yokohoma AVS tires on it. On and off the track
the car's handling and ride have been GREATLY improved due to the tires,
springs, shocks, etc.

A few weeks ago some one bad mouthed the Yoko's and endorsed the Firehawks.
This was absolutely wrong. I ran Firestone Firehawks on my D for 10 months
and 2000 miles. They are JUNK compared to these Yoko's. I also borrowed a
set of BFG Comp TAs for a few hundred miles. MUCH, MUCH better than the
Firehawks, but not as nice as the Yoko's. By all means, spend the extra
money on the Yokohoma tires.

Back to the Autocross........I had 7 runs, getting a better time and less
cones each time. At one point I did let the rear end get out there and lost
control of the car. Lots of fun. If you get a chance to do this, take the
D, but don't plan on competing--just go out and have fun!!

Mark Noeltner has a video of himself running an Autocross in his D last
October--sideline and cockpit camera views. This parking lot was 10 times
as big as the one I was in yesterday so you can see some more serious
racing. Check it out at http://www.midstatedmc.com and click on Events then
SCCA Autocross from 10/10/99. You'll see a picture me in my Allante (I
wanted to take the D, but it broke down the night before coming home from
the DOA banquet!!)

--Jonathan