Re: [DML] Re: Historic Blunders

heskin@xxxx writes:

<< I'm sure I'm missing something here..

Assuming the British Gov't destroyed the original dies used to
stamp the body panels, why can't some enterprising person take an
existing LF fender (for example), make a new die from that, and get a
few hundred fenders produced? Are the starup costs just too great?
Are there legal issues with copying the design? Obviously, there is
enough demand. Has this been tried before?

One thing I was wondering. I thought the only items actually processed at
the factory were the fiberglass underbodies and that items such as the
stainless steel panels were made elsewhere. If this is the case how did the
British Government get the dies for the body panels?