Re: [DML] Should I buy?

John S. wrote:

> . . . I'm scared because the car is gonna suck alot of my funds up.
> I'm worried that I'm gonna have to invest $1000's a year just to
> keep it run. I can pay for a car and maybe another $1000 for some
> work. But this mechanic says there gonna be a constant cost.

John, it was smart of you to consult a mechanic and bring your question to this group.

The answer to your question is YES. A DeLorean can provide very reliable transportation. Just remember that reliable transportation is not the same as free transportation.

We recently conducted a survey of people who use their DeLoreans as daily drivers. The gist of it was that you should budget at least $1,600 per year to maintain a DeLorean as a daily driver. Some years you might not need that much, but other years you will need more.

Your mechanic is right: any used car will require upkeep that will be a constant cost to you. Maintenance cost will be lower if you buy a relatively new car, but then the initial cost of the car will be higher. For a good combination of low initial cost and low maintenance cost look for a 6-7 year old Toyota . . . but that's not what you want me to say.

At your age you should budget a few thousand more for insurance if you drive a DeLorean (or any sports car). When I was 21 I drove a Trans Am, and my insurance was astronomincal.

The good news is that DeLorean parts are fairly inexpensive, especially when compared to Porsche, Jaguar, Lotus, and similar parts.

If you are serious about owning a DeLorean you should continue reading the DML and consider joining the DOA. You might also want to come to the DeLorean Car Show in Cleveland or the DOA Expo in Las Vegas to meet some owners and learn more.

- Mike Substelny
VIN 1280, 7 years as a "daily driver"