[DML] Re: DOT 5 (was Brake and Clutch bleeding (Was: Transmission))

[DML] Re: DOT 5 (was Brake and Clutch bleeding (Was: Transmission))

DOT 5 silicone fluids do have some disadvantages. Since they don't absorb
water, it tends to pool at the lowest point in the system, leading to
heavier corrosion (rust) in the calipers or wheel cylinders if the system
is flushed periodically. Silicone fluids also turn compressible at much
lower temps than glycol based DOT 4 fluids, which means that you have a
somewhat "softer" pedal feel. Silicone DOT 5 fluids are generally more
expensive than a good DOT 4 fluid also.

Not putting down DOT 5 silicone fluids, just pointing out the negatives. :)

Personally, I don't feel that they're worth it. I prefer to flush and fill
the systems every two years or less with DOT 4 Castrol LMA fluid.

Mark N
VIN 6820