[DML] Re: Brake and Clutch bleeding (Was: Transmission)

Marc A Levy wrote:

> For high performance applications, it is recommended that the hydraulic
> fluid be flushed on a regular bases to remove any moisture that is in
> the system.
> <snip>

I've also seen systems flushed and moved over to non-hydrolytic DOT-5 (because its silicone based).
I've done this to all my '68 mustang back in 1978 without any ill effects (or parts replaced) to date.

> <snip>
> In theory, if you never open the reservoir, then there is no
> way for the moisture to get in to the system.
> <snip>

In practice, I don't think this theory works, Marc. When you depress the clutch pedal, you displace
fluid from the reservoir. An air bleed in the master cylinder reservoir cover allows air to enter the
chamber (otherwise a vacuum is created). Most systems have a rubber gasket in there expand and follow
the fluid level, "theoretically" keeping the air separate from the fluid... but if you read the owners
manual, you'll see that still recommend flushing the system periodically (usually every two years or
so).

--
All the best -
_
| N & W | The Virtual Workshop, Inc.
= oo---oo = P.O. Box 98 Titusville Fl 32781
email: <mmyjak@xxxx> voice&fax: 321.264.0440