[DML] Re: My doors again

At 08:57 PM 2/25/00 -0800, you wrote:
>Ok, here's the deal. I have found that the pivot on the strut is 1/2"
>closer
>to the center of the door. It is not the foam that needs to be
>adjusted. This
>1/2" extra is what is causeing the door to hit. I have pulled the
>struts, both
>the same length. I have changed the side for side the struts, same
>thing door
>hits. My question now is how do these struts go together? Do the ball
>ends
>thread on the end of the strut? Is there no adjustment for this
>factory caused
>problem. I can't belive I am the only one with this problem. My
>problem was
>made worse because the car is painted.
>
>I can see me grinding a larger radius, it seems that the factory
>tolerences
>would allow this. I mean we are only talking about 1/16" of an inch.
>
>Or I could take strut apart and shorten so I can make both doors open
>the same
>height. mrvideosawyer@xxxx

reply:

Jim,

don't attempt to open your air struts...thats not the problem!

I am sure that there will be more tech nickel help but for what it's worth:

The precise location of the Air-Struts has nothing to do with the miss
alignment of your door. The correct installation of the air-strut is with the gas cylinder
down. There is no right and left to their installation. The Gullwing doors while almost the same to with in a few onces so in theory it makes no difference which strut goes on which side. As a practical matter air-struts can never be identical in thrust power, and in some cases switching the struts can change the relative amount of door opening.

The problem with the door touching the corner is a hinge adjustment. You may have a loose hinge bolt or need a shim. (simplest-DRHing RF part # 108487). There are 4 screws that could also be loose and have possible adjustments. If you find these all torqued to spec' then it is more likely that the roof panel (100204) is out of alignment. You should be aware that the doors are installed and aligned before the body panels are installed and aligned (to the doors). I suggest that with the doors closed measure the clearance at the two corners ( the one that touches and its opposite on the other side) and see if there is a difference.

Adjusting the roof panel is far easier and safer than adjusting the doors.
If you can I would suggest you take your D to one of the major D shops for the problem.
Fooling with the doors can be risky and you could damage your D in the process.

Lee

CAUTION : Any individual or group discharging a nuclear device or weapon
inside Los Angeles city limits may be fined $500 - and/or serve 30 days in county jail.

It's the LAW!