[DML] Re: Exhaust and Cats

Platinum is indeed used in catalytic converters, but it does not combine
with anything, it merely acts as a catalyst (thus the name of the device).
Look at it this way: alcohol can't get anyone pregnant, but it can sure act
as a catalyst to the reaction! :-)

I doubt that platinum is being "injected" into the cylinder, since this
would increase your fuel costs to about $5 a mile. More likely, there is
platinum fixed or plated somewhere inside the cylinder, since one of the
drawbacks of the cat is that it won't work until it gets pretty hot. The
cylinders heat up very quickly.

I'm hope this article wasn't in a reputable newspaper, since the author did
not appear to understand what he was writing.

Gus Schlachter
Austin, TX
VIN# 4695