[DML] Re: Interesting find inside door

In a message dated 12/21/99 6:24:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
magriese@xxxx writes:

<< My guess is that the doors were assembled separate from the
rest of the car and merged at the assembly line. It wouldn't make
much sense to install all of the inner door stuff with the door
mounted to the car - too much back stress for the assemblers.

Mike Griese >>

Mike and the rest if the List,

I figured as much that they installed all of the interior door parts before
the door was installed on the car, but what I don't understand is that the
piece of paper I found inside the door is a photocopy of the door lock
setting procedure (I am guessing they just printed up a lot of them and
passed them to the employees to set the door locks) and it has blue pen on it
that had the date written on the top of it which was April 29, 1981. So what
I want to know is that if my car is a June 1981 build like it says on the VIN
plate, how could the car have been built on April 29, if it wasn't supposed
to be built until 2 months later? Weird stuff, huh? Does this make sense to
anyone else? I am assuming that the magic marker that was dated May 31,
1981, is when they finished assembling the driver's side door. Also there is
a lot of numbers and stuff written on the top part of my doors, the part that
gets covered when you install the headliner, for some reason someone wrote
the word "Skins" on both doors. If anyone is interested enough I will take a
picture of that and the numbers, maybe it might mean something. Happy
Holidays everyone.

Later,
Nick
VIN#1852