[DML] Re: Fir tree snaps on lower door trim...

[DML] Re: Fir tree snaps on lower door trim...

The way it's supposed to work is the fasteners are loose
in the holes so they can move around a bit as they center
themselves in the holes in the door. If your fasteners are
not loose (moveable from side to side), they are probably
captured by the adhesive used to tack the carpeting
to the door panel. The only solution I was able to find
for this problem was to cut the fastener off and use a
dremel tool to grind out the head of the fir tree.

If the fasteners are loose, they can be removed but
they are difficult to get out. The head of the fastener
is shaped like a big, fat comma. When the fasteners
are installed, the pointy part is inserted into the hole
in the panel and the whole fastener is twisted until
the round part of the fastener squeezes into the
hole. To get the fastener out, you have to reverse
the process - "unscrew" the fastener by working
from the round end to the pointed end. I was able
to use a pair of very grippy needlenose pliers and
a very small flat blade screwdriver to get the process
started. You need to be a little careful because the
plastic door panel can crack or split.

Mike Griese
Storage Software Development Manager
Tivoli Storage Management