[DML] Re: Original Suspension

At 10:14 AM 12/4/99 EST, you wrote:
>I hate to beat anything to death - however, changing the height does have a
>negative effect on your bumper height to OTHER vehicles if you have an
>accident. Also, aiming of headlights and without attention to camber and
>caster negative handling effects.

reply:

I don't think you have remotely approached beating a dead horse, not by a long shot.

Most average motorist and a good many DeLorean drivers don't begin to appreciate just how special and precise the DMC-12 suspension is. All that was ever done to meet the US bumper height requirements was the installation of a longer spring and front end re alignment. This as we all know ruined the look and caused a good deal of control problems at speeds of 70mph+.

The only requirement to putting the D back in to it's design configuration is installing the correct springs with the correct medullas rating and correct front end alignment. Once this is completed the DMC-12 is a marvel to drive and behaves as designed way past the 100mph mark as it should. Handling is at least 50% of what a "Sports Coupe" is all about. From an elegant design point of view, setting up a DMC-12 to low, or wit it's nose sticking up, or with the same size wheels is not only ugly but a road hazard as well. There is literally nothing any one can cut, bolt on weld on, or substitute on the DMC-12 suspension that will improve it. It is as good as it is ever going to get.

PJ Grady has the correct length front springs (and I suspect all the other DeLorean parts sources have them as well) which is all most DMC-12's need. If you have a cut and switch on your hands the only GOOD solution is to replace all the springs with the correct one's.

Any one who believes that mounting cheap tires, cut springs, same size hubs, cross-index suspension parts and Home Depot trailing arm bolts and hardware store chamber shims is kidding them selves. I suggest that if you are one of these owners when you lose control and in that last moment before you slide off the road, bridge or cliff- in to that flaming gasoline truck , just remember at one time your DMC-12 had one of the best designed suspension systems in the world of cars...and you changed it.

Lee

CAUTION : Any individual or group discharging a nuclear device or weapon
inside Los Angeles city limits may be fined $500 - and/or serve 30 days in county jail.

It's the LAW!