[DML] Re: Removing Epoxy from the frame - need insight.

"mike@xxxx" <mrcopie-@xxxx> wrote:
> One of the projects on the books this winter is to do a restoration
on my Delorean's frame. I'm not looking for concours here just need to
be able to patch the frame in the spots it requires and put the car
safely on the road.
> I'd like to remove the epoxy from the frame and was wondering what
the best way is. Wire brush and some elbow grease? or can you do it
chemically? I know at one point someone had a webpage on this but
I've been unable to locate it on the archives.

Depending on how much you have to do, and where it is, removing the old
epoxy is done in a combination of ways.
1 - scrape off with screwdrivers
2 - A small propane torch, if you can get everything out of the way,
really
speeds things up.

Don't bother with chemical strippers, in my experience they can't get
through the epoxy.

If you are stripping the entire frame, the best thing I have heard was a
full chemical or hot galvanizing dip (Bruce Benson had this done many
years
ago). This is difficult since there are many closed in areas, and the
epoxy
tends to come off but get trapped as gooey globs inside the frame that
you
can't get out.

Here's the link back to DMCNews for the article on this.

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/framepaint.htm

Dave