[DML] re: transmission problems!

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Sean Spurlock wrote:
> This is a very peculiar problem. A friends DeLorean will not shift
> into first unless the shifter is brought down into second and then
> slammed back into first. Thsi is all accompanied by a slight grinding
WTW wrote:
...But I have heard that you're not supposed to change
the transmission oil on the DeLorean.

I'm not sure why this would be. I would change the oil. Regarding the
original problem I'd guess bad syncros as well, usually caused by leaving
the original plastic clutch line in the car too long. Bad part is, at least
in my case, was that the syncronizers (the brass part) were fine but the
sliding gear (the expensive part) was bad.

Regarding the comments about leaking, almost every manual DMC trans I've
ever looked at seeped a little. By design there is NO gasket between the
halves of the transmission case, only some Hylomar sealer and some very fine
machine work. Best "cure" is to check the trans oil every time you change
the engine oil, and, as with most British cars, keep a sheet of cardboard on
the garage floor. The transmission holds almost a gallon of oil.

dave