[DML] Ignition Switch

There is a ball bearing that the tip of the key has to move aside justas you start to insert the key into the ignition switch.  In my car the steering wheel has to be in the locked position before you can insert the key.  The previous owner mentioned something about it (like he'd had this done to safeguard the car, although I don't see the point) .  Now it is getting more difficult to get the ball bearing to move out of the way.  My questions are:

1. Should I try graphite ?

2. There is an ignition switch repair kit in the parts database (part #100823R).  Does anyone know if this kit would help ?

3.  If I were able to purchase a replacement ignition assembly (#100823), would I somehow be able to change the cylinder so I could still use my existing key ?

4. Does anyone else have this "feature" on their car ?

Thanks,

Steve Pattison
Vin #2528