[DML] Re: Wrecked DeLoreans (or: How Well the Fiberglass Stands Up)

[DML] Re: Wrecked DeLoreans (or: How Well the Fiberglass Stands Up)

Robert asked:
>I know this is a pretty dark and dismal subject, but I was wondering
>if anyone had any pictures of wrecked DeLoreans? This will put to
>rest my suspicions of whether or not the fiberglass/ERM (whatever, I
>can't think right now) frame holds up diuring a collision. I have
>already seen the Mich. riots D, and a few D's in junkyards-type pics,
but not one
>of a DeLorean that has suffered an impact of some sort.

The DeLorean frame is actually an epoxy covered steel, which has been
known to have problems with rust. There was one(?) composite frame
that was used in one of the prototypes, but that didn't make it into
production. Even though at least one of the original brochures had
the exotic frame listed as a component.

If frame concerns are a major issue, due to rust on an otherwise
marvelous DeLorean, check out Bryan Pearce's Permaframe WWW page at:

http://www.pearce-design.com/html/permaframe.html

A complete frame replacment made out of stainless steel.

As a minor side note, at least one of the Safety Program release notes
if I remember correctly dealt specifically with strengthening front end
impact resistance (someone correct me if I am not remembering correctly
... ), but I don't have the Technical notes with me right now to look
it up ...

I wish you the best with whatever car you finally decide on :-)

Josh Seely
now.here@xxxx
Vin: Pending