[DML] Re: Autocross in St. Louis the weekend of the Expo

On Sat, 18 Sep 1999, yugoman wrote:

> My wife's doctor is into autocrossing, and keeps saying I should bring
> the D. I've wondered if this is hard on the trailing arm bolts? I
> worry about them anyway.

If you're worried about them jack up the rear of the car and have a look.

Autocrossing is not hard on the car assuming that it is mechanically sound
to begin with. Check your brakes, suspension, and your battery. If your
battery isn't *tight* in the battery compartment you won't pass tech.

People autocross everything from purpose built open wheel racers to (and I
kid you not) a 1970 Ford Fairmont (I saw that at the last autocross I went
to). This is the sort of thing that Lotus' racing suspension was made
for. And if you ever got the feeling driving your D that it seemed to
have no limits to its handling - well, you'll get to find them. It's fun.

Autocrossers are some of the friendliest and most helpful people you'll
meet. They will show you the rules, how to inflate your tires properly,
and will probably give you a ride so you can see what's up. You get to
see all sorts of interesting vehicles - that's almost worth the trip in
itself.

Although the DeLorean is not very competitive (it is classed in Super
Stock and really belongs in C Stock with the other small displacement
sports cars) you can probably find an autocross in your area almost every
weekend. Just show up. :}