[DML] Re: Antenna Technology Idea

mdeluc-@xxxx wrote:
original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/dmcnews/?start=2591

If you can beat them join them?the antenna thread must be the longest
thread ever so I might as well add my 2 cents (I use to test antennas
for a living). The physics of antennas and wave propagation can get
very complex and technical thus I will try to keep this as simple as
possible. The problem with built in antennas (like in a windshield) is
that they tend to be more directive, which basically means that it may
receive a radio station very well if it is in front or behind you but
from side to side the reception will be seriously degraded thus when
you make a turn you lose the station and may even get a new station
that is now in the new reception path. A Dipole antenna or the common
whip or vertical metal antenna tends to have an Omni directional
reception pattern that receives (in theory) virtually the same in all
directions.
Note: Just changing where the antenna is placed on the car effects the
reception pattern of this simple antenna, it typically would
need to be
placed on the top center of the car to have the most uniform Omni
patter in most cases (not an attractive option in my book).

The newer radio reception technology is not with the antennas but with
the receivers using Multiple antennas and selecting the antenna that is
doing the best job of receiving the desired radio station. All of this
applies more to FM reception then AM.
A relatively cheap and easy solution compared to replacing your radio
and adding antennas to The car could be ( I have never used one in a
car) a small FM antenna amplifier. The Antenna plugs directly into the
amplifier and the amplifiers out put plugs into the radio.
This makes the antenna more sensitive to weaker stations and helps
improve reception.

Mike D.
Vin3113
NY lic. DLORIANN

> DMC Joe wrote:
>
> > . . . Radio sensitive technology has improved drastically since
> > the late 70's when the factory installed units were designed. [SNIP]
>
> > I would like to see if today's auto radio technology coupled
> > with the windshield antenna would make for satisfactory reception.
>
> Next chance you get take a look at one of the GM "Dustbuster"
minivans (Lumina APV /
> Silhouette / TranSport). You will not see any radio antenna at all.
These minivans achieved