[DML] Re: Was it something I said? (was Commercial Posting Policy)

At 10:20 PM -0500 8/2/99, Dave Swingle wrote:
>We have had inquiries recently about allowing "commercial" postings into the
>mailing list.
(SNIP)

>site. That belongs on the vendors' web pages or other customer mailing lists
>that they may care to start. Vendors will be subject to the same rejection
>rules as anyone else regarding excessive string quoting and other such
>infractions. We'll also frown on harvesting email addresses from the
>archives, although that would be admittedly hard to police.
>
>As always, comments welcome. And as always, if it gets out of control we can
>change our minds.

The DeLorean Mailing List is unquestionably the best source online for
DeLorean information - and that includes technical advice, parts sources
and pricing, as well as feedback about experiences with DeLorean vendors.

In my capacity at DeLorean Motor Company, I respond to publicly to messages
where I believe my posting will be of benefit to DeLorean owners and
enthusiasts as a whole. I respond privately when the information is of less
broad nature. I think that we have the best customer service, the best
mechanical service, and certainly the best selection of parts. I will
promote it as much as I can wherever it is allowed.

I have neither asked for nor expect any "special treatment" as a result of
my past relationship with the list. I've had messages rejected, so I think
it's safe to say that I am not getting any special treatment, either.

With DMC Joe dishing out technical advice and offering "house calls",
sources of parts are a natural extension - I wish that other vendors would
contribute, too. Competition is healthy, and there's nothing wrong with
having alternatives.

But since this whole thread appears to have been a result of my postings, I
would invite Delorean owners and enthusiasts that are interested in knowing
more about the goings on at DeLorean Motor Company (Houston) to subscribe
to our "announcement-only" newsletter at:

http://www.usadmc.com/emailgram.html

Previous editions of this newsletter are also available at that location.

Taking off my "DeLorean Motor Company hat" for a moment, I'd like to once
again publicly thank Bruce, Marty, Mike, Knut, Dick and Dave in particular
for taking on the reponsibilities of ensuring the integrity and usefulness
of the DML - I know that it often a thankless job. Now can we get back to
talking about the car?

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

and Retired Moderator, DeLorean Mailing List