[DML] ADMIN NOTE: Commercial Posting Policy

[DML] ADMIN NOTE: Commercial Posting Policy

We have had inquiries recently about allowing "commercial" postings into the
mailing list.

We will reiterate that DMCNews (the Web page) and The DeLorean Mailing list
are unaffiliated with any commercial venture. This is administered and paid
for privately.

We have allowed, and will continue to allow, individuals and vendors to post
information regarding goods and services, within reason, on the mailing
list. This is, to us, similar to people posting parts and/or cars for sale.
We feel that this provides a valuable avenue for information to the DML
community. You won't see ads for DeLorean Parts and Services in Road &
Track, the audience is too small to justify the cost. How many times have
you heard at car shows "Where do you get parts for this thing?". It's
obvious that the public at large, and this includes new subscribers to the
list, are unaware of the resources out there. It is in the interest of
promoting the marque to make the public aware of these resources. For this
reason we also post links to all Vendor websites
(www.dmcnews.com/misc/links.html) , as well as any Organized Clubs
(www.dmcnews.com/misc/clubs.html) who give us information to post. We have
also allowed, and will continue to allow, clubs to post information of
quasi-commercial nature to the mailing list.

SO. . . .Here are the Rules - we will continue to post information from
anyone offering bona-fide Delorean-related equipment or services. We welcome
the vendor's contribution of technical advice. There's a line between "yes,
that part's available" and "Sale Sale Sale". Also "Flaming" of one vendor
to another will not be posted. On the other hand, vendors need to be aware
that as an "independent" mailing list, from time to time individual members
may elect to comment on vendors' service, both good and bad. We allow
members to tell of specific, factual experiences with vendors as long as the
accounts are well-written and reasonable. Sample OK - "It took three weeks
for Vendor X to ship my new lugnuts!" Sample NOT OK: "Vendor Y is an evil
company run by idiots." Compliments and "good news" stories are also
welcome, and we suspect that there are more of these in the archives than
the opposite.

We will make no attempt to balance the number of postings between sources,
the more the merrier. This will be tough enough to moderate without starting
to count postings.

Vendors who have not posted anything - please feel free to join in. THAT
BEING SAID - we do not expect this to turn into a "sale of the week" posting
site. That belongs on the vendors' web pages or other customer mailing lists
that they may care to start. Vendors will be subject to the same rejection
rules as anyone else regarding excessive string quoting and other such
infractions. We'll also frown on harvesting email addresses from the
archives, although that would be admittedly hard to police.

As always, comments welcome. And as always, if it gets out of control we can
change our minds.

Dave, Bruce, Marty, Mike, Knut, Dick
reply to moderator@xxxx