[DML] 5-speed is now a 2-speed

Hey people.  Maybe you can help meout here. I was driving the other day, and when I tried to shift from 4th to 5th, it shifted to 3rd instead. I could physically put the gear selector in 5th butthe selector offered no resistance from the right, and it just went into 3rd. And today when I got in my car to drive home from work, I couldn't get into reverse. I would pull up on it as usual and bring it down, but it only would go into2nd. I was lucky that I also had the option of driving out forwards, although I would have backed out otherwise. After backing out, but still in the parking lot I came to a stop sign. I stopped and tried to put it into 1st, but again likewith 5th, the gear selector was limp and it would only go into 3rd. I didn't realize it at first so I stalled out in 3rd gear. So I tried to start out in 2nd and again the shifter was limp and it shifted into 3rd. Ended up, I had to drive home from word with only 3rd and 4th gear and now my car's just sitting in my driveway because I can't get it into reverse.  To top all that off, myair control knob to turn on the vents is so worn down that it can't turn the metal receiver piece inside the dash, and I had to drive home with 2 gears and noAC on a scorching hot day.  Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, my friend Mike backed his minivan into the back of my D and put a small gouge in the black part of the bumper and scuffed it real bad.
First of all, what do you guys think my transmission problems are coming from. Is something just loose perhaps?  Second, what can you do for scuff marks on the black part of the bumper?  I appreciate any and all input.

Cole Stinnette in Yorktown, VA
1981
License Plate: RUN DMC

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/dmcnews