[DML] Re: Scenes from an NSW car show

On Sun, 30 May 1999, R. Haslewood wrote:

> panels ("is it bare metal? Aluminium? Alloy?")! I was also surprised
> by the amount of times people associated it with Lamborghinis. In
> fact, the first question we got asked was "Is it a Lamborghini?".
> Other people said "Geez, it looks like a Lamborghini, eh" and "I
> reckon Lamborghini would make those, eh".

Having just had the opportunity to closely inspect a 1998 Lamborghini
Diablo, I can attest to the fact that these cars *do* have a passing
resemblance to the DeLorean, especially for someone that isn't familiar
with them. Pictures don't really do justice to either car.

The biggest similarity of course is the doors. Lamborghini doors stick up
in the air, although they hinge at the front and swing up like scissors.
But people call Lamborghini style doors "gull wing" all the time. This,
combined with the Italian styling, the high rear end, angular lines, and
general exoticness - yeah, I can understand that mistake.

Italian styling hasn't changed nearly as much through the years as more
mainstream designs, so if your DeLorean looks new, no one will know the
difference... :}

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/dmcnews