[DML] The SonnyV issue (I spoke to James Espey).

[DML] The SonnyV issue (I spoke to James Espey).

(Moderators Note: Based on the information John Dore posted about his phone conversation with James at DMCH, additional questions or comments about this SonnyV issue need to be sent directly to DMCH or calls should be placed to DMCH. John's posting states answers and/or additional information from DMCH will not be sent thru, or to, the DML on this matter. Should DMCH decide to comment, this information will be posted to the list along with any replys. Other then that, this posting closes this thread. Marty, this weeks moderator)

See Below.

--- John Dore <dmcjohn@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<SNIP>

> During the call James seemed genuinely sorry and
> embarrassed about
> this whole situation. I asked if he can see why a
> lot of people are
> upset about this, and he said (I paraphrase) :
> absolutely, no-one
> likes being deceived.

Sorry he did it? Or sorry he got caught?

Is business that bad, that they need to do this kind
of marketing?!

Does this mean they have learned their lesson?  Will
they stop the deception of trying to fool people in to
thinking they are the same company that built our cars
in 1981?  Will they stop laying claim to the DMC logo,
and other related art work?  Will they admit that they
were selling door pistons which broke or bent door
mounts on dozens (if not hundreds) of cars?....  the
list goes on.

> I'm glad that James called me - I think email is a
> really crap way of
> sorting out your problems, there is nothing like
> talking to someone 1
> on 1. James had a list of maybe 15 people at that
> stage who had
> posted comments on this issue to both lists, and he
> told me he
> intends calling each one of them to listen to their
> concerns on the
> matter, and try to patch things up. I think this is
> a great idea, and
> I am impressed with James for this.

That is big of him, but the 1 on 1 approach tends to
make people more reserved.  The events took place on
these mailing lists, and should be addressed in a like
manor.

> That said, I know there are many people here who
> have not posted an
> opinion publicly, and would not call James up to
> discuss this, but
> would like an explanation. I asked James if he was
> going to reply to
> my post on this forum, and he said no, he is not
> going to. He also
> said that after our call if I go and post again on
> this topic, he
> will not reply to that post either. James and
> Stephen have discussed
> this between themselves, and will not reply or post
> anything publicly
> to either list on this issue, ever, which I think is
> a pity. Its my
> opinion that the only way this will be resolved
> properly is a simple
> email from the guys in DMCHouston saying "yes we did
> this - we're not
> proud of it, sorry if we offended anyone, and we
> won't do it again".
> I'm sure 2 or 3 days later the whole mess would be
> forgotten about.

Agreed..  But there is no proof or documentation of a
telephone conversation.  A post to the Internet will
be permanent history.

> As a sidenote, James was very friendly, and seemed
> like a very nice
> guy. We talked a little about our baby daughters and
> life in general,
> isn't this what owning a DeLorean is really about -
> making friends? I
> hope this can all be cleared up soon so we can go
> back to that.

James has always been nice to me in person, as have I
to him.  (Even returned his digital camera to him in
Pigeon Forge instead of raffling it off! LOL).  I am
not passing judgment on him for any other aspect than
the way he conducts his business.  The fact that
Stephen knew about this and agreed to it does not say
a lot for Stephen's business ethics either.

<SNIP>

I'd like to also point out that I can think of two
times where SonnyV engaged me directly.  Once accusing
me of being a racist for using the term "ricer", and
again to ask if I had anything nice to say about DMCH.
 Can one conclude that an effort to discredit me is a
marketing tool for them?

An apology is great, but meaningless unless they make
some changes to correct things.... Or will James just
be more careful with the next alias as to not be
caught?

One suggestion would be to differentiate themselves
from the REAL and now defunct DeLorean Motor Company.
The web site, the magazine, all advertisements.  Call
it "DeLorean Motor Company of Texas" or whatever, just
to limit confusion between them and the real DMC.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail