[DML] Re: Let's talk about that infamous fender.

[DML] Re: Let's talk about that infamous fender.

The other part of the equation is that as some of the cars fall into
disrepair and get recycled(Hi Josh) by far the most salvageable part
of the car happens to be the sheetmetal. Before anyone bothered
stamping out new parts, all the old ones would have to be crushed or
in museums, at which point no one would be crashing the cars any
more, and there **still** wouldn't be any demand. It will (I hate to
say this) always be cheaper to scrap cars than to spend the tens of
thousands (millions?) it would take to tool up to produce fenders. In
the end, it's always economics. In fact, the "street price" of DMC
sheetmetal has dropped quite a bit in the last 5 years. Just ask
anyone who tries to get the mythical 5K for a LF fender - they just
don't bring that much.

The vendors are spending their resources retooling consumables,
interior parts, rubber parts, etc, because that's where the recurring
demand is.

Let's be careful out there....

Dave S

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, tobyp@xxxx wrote:

> I can't speak for the intentions of DMCH to produce reproduction
> fenders and other body panel pieces, but that course of action is
> very doubtful.  The money spent on tooling would never be recouped
> based on the existing and future demand, and the fact that (in
spite