[DML] Re: Let's talk about that infamous fender.

[DML] Re: Let's talk about that infamous fender.

I can't speak for the intentions of DMCH to produce reproduction
fenders and other body panel pieces, but that course of action is
very doubtful.  The money spent on tooling would never be recouped
based on the existing and future demand, and the fact that (in spite
of everything that you might hear to the contrary) there are adequate
supplies of replacement body panels ... including the left front
fender.  That is not to say that there are stacks of them lying
around - but there are panels available if you have a panel that
becomes damaged recognition.  Minor damage can be repaired to near
perfection if you have a body guy (or gal) that is schooled in
the "stainless arts".  In regards to your question about creating a
copy of a panel at some body shop ... 1/4 hard 304 CRES isn't quite
as easy to work with as your typical alloy steel sheet metal.  Spring
back, minimum bend radii, and many other factors are different.  Can
it be done?  Undoubtedly, there is a shop someplace that could make a
panel that would suffice.  It wouldn't be inexpensive however.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC (new and used LF fenders in stock)
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ComposerZelgadis@xxxx wrote:

> Once upon a time, I heard rumors that DMCH would be making new body
fenders (particularly that front-left fender).  I'm not sure if
anything has materalized with this rumor or not, but... From what I
understand,  there is absolutely no back stock left of these
fenders.  Can one be custom  made by a metal "job shop?"  Can most
shops reproduce one cheaply, and up  to original specs?

> And let's say that fender is lightly to moderately damaged, is it
possible to repair it back to its cherry condition?  And the same
thing goes for our hoods!  Those gas flap / grooved hoods are also a
bit scarce. I  realize that it all depends on the type of damage
done, but being the paranoid  chap that I am, I just had to ask.